Saturday, July 14, 2012

Stupid Chest Tubes!

We had a few setbacks in the last 15 hours or so.  Not big ones, but setbacks nonetheless. Last night when it was time for Ivy's Lasik's dose (medicine to help clear fluids out of her body), it was discovered that both IV's had gone bad.  We were devastated, because Ivy hates being poked by needles and we knew it would be traumatic for her.  The IV team was called to put a new one in her left hand......It did NOT go well.  They tried for a good 15 minutes with the needle in her hand moving it.  It was horrible and frustrating to watch.  Scott and I begged them to just forget the IV and do lasiks by mouth (since it is the last IV med she is on).  Our nurse called the doctor, but told us not to get too optimistic.  The doctor said, until the chest tubes come out, she definitely needs the IV lasiks, because they are better.  By the time we got that answer Scott had gone home for the night, so the nurse left Ivy and I alone in the room while she called the IV team back.  I thought I had a few minutes, so I cried.  I tried not to, but its hard to hold in tears when your pregnant.  The nurse came back and caught me crying, and told me the doctor had called back and ordered lasiks by mouth for the time being, but that an IV would need to be placed at 4am for her next dose and for her daily blood draw.  I agreed and Ivy and I went to sleep.

When the IV team came back at 4, they were able to place the IV in one try and less than 5 minutes.  I was so grateful.  She received her dose of lasiks, they took some blood and we slept again until her Xray at 5:30am.

More bad news came 4 hours later when the doctors reviewed her Xray and it was still cloudy with fluids.  Her chest tubes will not be coming out today.  They instructed us to walk more, sit up more, and move around more with hopes that they will come out tomorrow.  It was frustrating because it is EXTREMELY difficult to walk around or take wagon rides with those darn chest tubes in.  They hook into these bulky boxes and there are three of them that we have to drag around along with oxygen and a portable heart monitor thing.  Its a lot of stuff!  She is feeling tortured that we won't let her lay flat, but we keep telling her that the crappier day she has today by sitting up, the better day she'll have tomorrow because those freakin' annoying tubes will come out!  Keep praying for her please!

I also just wanted to post a few pics from Tuesday (the day before surgery).  We had a fun day at a splash pad super close to Scott's parents house, and I got some fun pictures of the kids splashing around (they are from my phone, so I don't know how great they are).  I feel bummed about our setbacks and hopefully these will make me feel better.







 And I threw in this one of Scott bouncing Corbin on the trampoline super high just cause its cool!
Here's to hoping today will improve and tomorrow will be even better!

No comments:

Post a Comment