Monday, December 13, 2010

Ivy's heart update/living the next 2 wks in fear

Ivy's heart update:
Ivy had an appointment with her cardiologist, the fantastically quirky Dr. Womack today. He said that our little Ives is doing magnificently. He specifically called her an adorable pistol. Her sats are in the normal range (for her) at around 77 percent, and pretty much nothing else has changed. Dr. Womack couldn't believe how big she is now, and just gushed over her cuteness (as most people do). No need for an echo for another 6 months. We're so happy for our healthy little firecracker!

Living in fear:
Being pregnant at Dr. Womack's office brought back memories of June 2008 when we first met him so that he could confirm the regular doctors suspicion of Ivy's heart defect. I was 20 weeks pregnant at the time, and it was a truly awful day. Today I am about 16 1/2 weeks along, and living in fear of history repeating itself. Unless you have had a baby born with any sort of health issues you can't know the feelings that I go through. My number one fear is that I caused Ivy's heart defect, and that it can happen again. Every doctor assures me that it was nothing I did, but they also cannot give a clear-cut answer of what did cause it, and so I live with the fear that it could have been me. What if I did something wrong. I was not always consistent with taking my prenatal vitamins, and I drank caffeine. Also, I have always known that taking advil/motrin while pregnant is a big no-no, and therefore have been very careful to avoid them. But when Ivy was about 6 months old I learned that taking them while pregnant can cause heart defects, and I began to doubt myself. What if I took some before I knew I was pregnant, or took some by mistake? Its a horrible feeling to have this guilt, but its there, and I can't help it. This time around I've been more careful, avoiding caffeine, taking my prenatals EVERY SINGLE DAY, getting lots of exercise and plenty of rest, eating better and of course, sticking with tylenol. I have an appointment with Maternal Fetal Medicine two days after Christmas to have a thorough ultrasound to check the baby's heart and other organs to make sure everything is developing correctly, and until that day, I fear for this baby. I pray that Heavenly Father won't let it happen again. I pray that I don't have to watch another baby go through countless surgeries and pain in order to live a somewhat normal life, but I am still afraid. I don't know how I'm going to make it through these next two weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment